Faith in Action serves seniors age 60 and older by helping provide for basic non-medical needs such as transportation to doctors, grocery stores, and other necessary errands; friendly visiting; and minor home maintenance.
Services are free and provided by volunteers from a coalition of area faith communities as well as by other concerned community members.
Connecting with Faith in Action Services:
Seniors 60 and older in Bloomington-Normal, Towanda and Heyworth desiring services may call the Faith in Action office at (309) 827-7780 to request an in-home assessment. You can also visit their website at https://bnfia.org/services .
A person must be registered with Faith in Action in order to receive any services. There is no charge for services and no income qualifications. Faith in Action is located at 705 E. Lincoln, Suite 110, Normal, IL 61761.
Volunteering with Faith in Action:
The easiest way to get involved is to visit Faith in Action’s website: https://bnfia.org/volunteer
There are no minimum hours of service and volunteers can even serve seasonally, when they are available. Volunteer possibilities include:
- Medical Transportation: Help seniors remain independent and in their home by giving rides to and from doctor’s appointments. This is a flexible volunteer opportunity in which you can choose only the rides that suit your schedule.
- Grocery Shopping: Assist seniors with their grocery shopping once or twice a month. Shopping volunteers assist seniors with their shopping by taking them to the grocery store, picking up groceries ordered online, or, in some cases, doing the shopping for them. Shoppers can either choose to provide occasional shopping trips or can be paired with a care receiver to shop with/for on a regular basis.
- Friendly Visits/Phone Calls: A unique opportunity, making weekly or bi-weekly phone calls or visits to a senior is a rewarding way to give back and combat social isolation.
- Light Home Maintenance: When we receive a request for maintenance from one of our senior care-receivers, you will be contacted to see if you are interested in/able to help with the task.
- Transportation Desk: This is a perfect opportunity for someone who enjoys working in an office setting. Transportation Desk volunteers answer the phone, schedule rides for our care receivers, make calls, and help with various tasks in the office.
- Office Work: Assist with different clerical-orientated tasks throughout the year, when you are available.
- Special Events: Faith in Action regularly has a variety of special events. From fundraisers to celebrations, volunteers play an integral role in making each event a success. If you have a special talent you would like to share, you may find an outlet helping with one of our many events through the year.
- Volunteer Committee: Help organize events and help us stay connected to the community. This is a good opportunity to help make things happen!
- Liaisons: Help Faith in Action stay active in the community by taking our mission and sharing it with your church congregation. Liaisons attend quarterly meetings and help facilitate communication between our office and your church. They play an important role in our ability to effectively serve our community.
- Assessment Volunteer: Perfect for someone with a background in Nursing / Healthcare / Social Work. Assess seniors, in their home, before they begin to receive FIA’s services.
Faith In Action Volunteer Requirements:
- Anyone 21 or older can serve alone. For those under 21, supervision is requested
- Consent to a background check
- Fill out a Volunteer Application
- Complete a 1.5-hour New Volunteer Orientation class
- Provide copies of valid driver’s license, auto insurance card, and have a safe driving record (if you wish to be a driver)
- Appreciate the diversity of faith communities involved in Faith in Action
- Alternatively, consider our online givingoption as a means of support for any of our other missions.