FBC’s Work in 2015
WIN TEAM 1
Goals: To create a vibrant weekend experience that connects guests to God in Christ and to First Baptist Church
We pushed back worship to 11:00 am to accommodate the Gathering Time and possibility of 2nd Service
- Results: Enables families with special needs to attend Church School and / or Worship.
We opened the wall between the sanctuary and Barker Hall.
- Visible connection between gathering and worship.
Implemented and operationalized The Gathering
- Results: Increase in guests attending and connecting at FBC
- Is a consistent first step toward discipleship as a place to meet the pastors
- Eliminated the Greeting of Friends and Guests section of the Worship service.
- The Gathering time has become a place for connection.
- Introverts have thanked us for discontinuing the Greeting during worship.
Developed role-specific training/information for Greeters, Ushers, and Welcome Center representatives.
- 8 New Greeters involved and trained.
- Greeters have become Sunday morning hosts, helping put on the Gathering time.
Developed a FBC Welcome Packet for guests
Describe weekly how Visitor Cards are used.
- Script was written and operationalized
Developed a parent/child sign-in/out process for Worship Care.
- Operationalized a system of drop off and pick up. Move Katherine, Admin Assitant to have Sunday hours.
- Worship Care Preschool attendance has increased. On Sunday, Jan 31 and Feb. 7 there were 20 preschool children in Worship Care.
Educated the congregation about being “visitor friendly.”
Hosted FBC 101, now called “Exploring God at FBC” Guest Lunches quarterly.
- Learned that guest lunches are not for guests seeking to become members but guests with more questions.
Completed and integrated a new Church logo.
- Consistent communication to visitors
- Able to update exterior signs
Completed an attractive, friendly, informative church website.
Determined service style and targeted demographic
Dialogued with congregation regarding purpose of service and alleviate concerns of congregation by creating small group discussions
2nd Service Design Team worked with Worship committee, pastors, music staff, LOGOS leaders, and 2nd Service Design Team what the service needs will be and what resources are currently available
Launched a “Trial Run” 2nd Service on Sunday, March 27, 2016 with follow up survey to determine planners, partners and participants.
WIN TEAM 2
Goal – To create a plan that shares the love of Christ with the community to serve their needs and brings them into a relationship with Christ.
Expanded Community Garden
- New raised beds, keyhole gardens, watermelon patch and Saturday Small Group
- Great harvest to Home Sweet Home Ministries Bread for Life Food Co-op
- Strengthened and expanded partnership with HSHM
- Sugar Creek Elementary – 22 volunteers serving as Reading Buddies, Math Buddies, and Lunchroom Buddies and Special Event Volunteers
- Star Literacy: ESL Tutoring – Monday and Wednesday evenings 10-12 students and 5-7 FBC volunteers
- Mennonite Church of Normal; Dismantling Racism
Art of Neighboring
- Combined Adult Study in August; 2 Block Parties; Canvassing Neighborhood in August
Trunk or Treat – The Big Block Party
- 24 cars and 350 Trunk or Treaters
Frosty’s Gift Shoppe
- 3 days, 200 shoppers, 800 gifts
- An abundance of Personal Shoppers
- Generous donations from FBC members and Friends
Land and Building Research
- Increased usage by outside organizations
- Yancy Family Concert in March 2016
- VBS-Autism will meet here in July 2016
- Forging a Better Way Conference April 2015
- Trustees are in the process of streamlining Building Use Requests, especially for smaller groups.
- Still need to optimize the use of our education space, so that it used more than one to three hours per week Christian Education Committee
- Proposal from LKM including the Field, Walking Path, Fruit Trees, and Patio